Denver Restaurant Week (which was actually 2 weeks long this year – yay!) just ended. This year we tried 4 restaurants total – 3 new ones (Root Down, Edge, and ChoLon Bisto) and 1 longtime favorite (Vesta Dipping Grill). I thought I would do some mini reviews of each of the places that we tried.
- Root Down – We loved this place. It’s located in the Highlands, just west of Downtown Denver. The restaurant is located in a former 1950’s gas station and is decorated to perfection. The atmosphere of the whole restaurant is funky and fun. The food was outstanding. We had this brown butter gnocchi that just melted in your mouth. We will definitely be back!
- Edge – Let’s just say we weren’t blown away by this restaurant. It’s located near the theater district and had a beautiful modern feel to it, but we were underwhelmed by the food – very average. For one of the top restaurants in Denver I was expecting to be blown away. We might go back for drinks before catching a show or the symphony, but I wouldn’t go back for dinner.
- ChoLon Bistro – Another restaurant that knocked it out of the park! They have these amazing french onion soup dumplings that are to die for. I am going to try to recreate them at home, but I doubt that they will be as flavorful.
- Vesta Dipping Grill – Every time I go to this place it is consistently outstanding. I went with a couple of girlfriends and we had a wonderful meal. You start out your meal with roasted garlic and fresh baked bread – so simple and so delicious! I also love all the choices of the dipping sauces. The roasted corn is my favorite!
We also hit up some of the new speakeasys that have opened up in Denver (Williams & Graham and Green Russell).
- Williams & Graham – LOVE IT. We have gone twice in the past couple of weeks. It’s hidden behind a book store. When you go in, they pass your name through a hole in the door and then you are taken behind a moving bookcase to the bar. The place is small, but very lively. The staff is helpful and want you to have a wonderful experience. The drinks are original and probably some of the best that I have ever had.
- Green Russell – GR is hidden behind a pie shop, in a basement off of Larimer. I think I would have really liked this place if we hadn’t gone to Williams & Graham first. I wasn’t as impressed by the service or the originality of the drinks.
We are now in a food coma and need to recover. I need to go to the gym to burn off all the calories I ate and drank 🙂